Collections

The museum’s key responsibility comprises four important collections: These are the collection of paintings which goes back to an initiative of the Zwickau Art Association (established in 1864) even before the opening of the museum in 1914, furthermore the graphics collection extended by Hildebrand Gurlitt in the 1920s and the late Gothic sculpture collection compiled by the History and Antiquity Association of Zwickau and, last but not least, the mineral collection – the first donation to the city in 1868.